Friday, February 24, 2012

My Top eBay Moments - The "What a Week!" Edition

ugh. I'm not better, but I have a lot to write about....

This has been a really bizarre week. A couple weeks ago, I got a cease & desist letter from eBay, requesting that I immediately stop using the domain name "theebaythrifter.com"  Just minutes after receiving the email, I went to godaddy and cancelled that domain name. I then replied to that email apologizing and explaining that I immediately cancelled the domain name registration. I thought the matter was settled, but apparently not. I got another nasty-gram from them today. Here's a snippet:

We remain highly concerned and disappointed by the fact that despite our good faith effort to advise you of our rights and seek to amicably resolve this situation, you have simply ignored our effort and continued your infringing activity with your registration and use of theebaythrifter.com.  Your registration and use of theebaythrifter.com violates the Lanham Act (15 U.S.C. 1051 et seq.) because it infringes and dilutes the famous eBay trademark.  And now that you are operating an infringing site with full knowledge of our rights, you are considered a willful infringer and, as such, could be liable for greater damages.

While we would still prefer to resolve this matter amicably, if you continue to ignore our attempts to resolve this matter promptly, we will have no choice but to take whatever action we deem necessary to protect our rights.  For these reasons, and to avoid consumer confusion, eBay must insist that you immediately stop using theebaythrifter.com and disable any site available at that address. You should not sell, offer to sell, or transfer the domain name to a third party and should let the domain registration expire.  

Please confirm in writing that you will agree to resolve this matter as requested. If we do not receive confirmation from you that you will comply with our request, we will have no choice but to pursue all available remedies against you.

This makes me angry. I am very far from being a "willful infringer." Not only did I NOT ignore them, but I immediately complied with their request AND immediately contacted them to confirm that I had done so. And all they have to do is type that URL in to their web browser to see that it doesn't even exist anymore. Ugh.

**********

Some of you know I've been severely under the weather this week, suffering from the worst ear infection known to mankind. Seriously. I've had ear infections all my life, but this one takes the cake. I am still far from healed, but at least I was able to spend the evening in the living room with my family today. Ugh #2.

**********

Something totally random happened to our computer today. I really don't think it was a virus, because we haven't downloaded any files or opened anything suspicious or anything at all like that. Out of the blue today, the computer shut down and all of our files are gone. My husband did find my eBay records spreadsheet (thank goodness!), but I had about 100 pictures taken and edited of items that were ready to be listed, and they are gone. Along with 6 years of family photos. I REALLY hope to take the computer to a magician next week and get all those files recovered, if we aren't able to do it ourselves over the weekend. Ugh #3.

**********

In good news though! Remember how distraught I was about having to go for jury duty selection? The more time passed, the more upset I became, because I'm a stay-at-home mother of four who also homeschools. How on earth am I supposed to be away all day for who knows how long?? My husband and I composed a letter to the jury commissioners explaining this, and this morning we received a phone call that I had been excused! Hooray! I don't have to go for selection. What a relief! A glimmer of sunshine in an otherwise very bleak day....

**********

Enough about that. I've had some fun sales this week, and I wasn't even able to feel excited about them. Because I haven't blogged all week, there are a lot of them. Here they are:


I sold these adorable little not-Birkenstocks this week. I got positive feedback tonight with this comment:


Sigh. Now let me show you a little something from the listing:

You can put the information right at their fingertips, but you just can't force them to actually read it. Sigh. At least it was a positive...
  • Acquired On: 1/17/12 (Goodwill)
  • Listed On: 2/4/12
  • Sold On: 2/20/12
  • Paid: 99c
  • Sold For: $14.99 + shipping


This was fun. It was a Walmart.com pre-Christmas deal. They were on sale for $10 each, free shipping with in-store pickup. I bought 2 of them, figuring we'd give one to our 8-year old for Christmas, and keep the other around in case a last minute Christmas gift need came up. None did, so I listed it. It sold for my full asking price of $19.99. How cool is it to buy 2 of something, give one as a gift, and sell the other for enough to pay for both of them?
  • Acquired On: 12/??/11 (Walmart.com)
  • Listed On: 1/19/12
  • Sold On: 2/18/12
  • Paid: $10
  • Sold For: $19.99 + shipping

I sure thought these Converse would sell faster than they did. They're silver and glittery - what's not to love about that? I will continue to buy Converse, but they're not usually a quick seller...
  • Acquired On: 5/8/11 (from my sister-in-law)
  • Listed On: 8/9/11
  • Sold On: 2/23/12
  • Paid: $5.90
  • Sold For: $20.00 + shipping

I remember having some of these Gus the Ghost books when I was little. They were the half-off color, so I scooped them up. They sold pretty quickly. There weren't any lots of 4 to compare my pricing to. I suppose I could have probably held out for more, but this was after several really stinky sales days, so I was happy with what I got for them.
  • Acquired On: 1/11/12 (Goodwill)
  • Listed On: 1/14/12
  • Sold On: 2/19/12
  • Paid: $1.06
  • Sold For: $21.00 + shipping

This was my daughter's. My son sold a frog from the same company, with the goofy huge eyes. It sold very quickly, so I expected this one to too, but it didn't. It sat for nearly a year.
  • Acquired: ???
  • Listed On: ? (relisted on 12/14/11)
  • Sold On: 2/20/12
  • Paid: -0-
  • Sold For: $21.99 - shipping

I've been trying to avoid pre-owned clothing (except the obvious names like Ralph Lauren, some Gap, some Talbot's, etc...). But this shirt was the right combination of size (3X) and wild print, so I thought I'd take a chance. And it is from DressBarn, so it's not like it's a completely unheard-of brand name either.
  • Acquired On: 1/17/12 (Goodwill)
  • Listed On: 1/19/12
  • Sold On: 2/22/12
  • Paid: $1.99
  • Sold For: $21.99 + shipping

You guys are going to get so sick of hearing about these denim skirts. I can't believe the goldmine I've stumbled on! This one from Gap sold in less than 24 hours!
  • Acquired On: 2/17/12 (Goodwill Harrisburg)
  • Listed On: 2/19/12
  • Sold On: 2/20/12
  • Paid: $3.50
  • Sold For: $21.99 + shipping

I mentioned these Pyrex refrigerator dishes a few weeks ago. They sold more quickly than I expected too. I am loving all these quick sales! It's so nice to get stuff in and move it right back out again, without even collecting any dust on it :)
  • Acquired On: 1/17/12 (Goodwill)
  • Listed On: 2/4/12
  • Sold On: 2/21/12
  • Paid: $4.22
  • Sold For: $24.99 + shipping

Another denim skirt! Another quick flip! This was Union Bay brand. I suspect the camo is what made it sell so quickly.
  • Acquired On: 2/17/12 (Goodwill Harrisburg)
  • Listed On: 2/19/12
  • Sold on: 2/21/12
  • Paid: $3.50
  • Sold For: $24.99 + shipping


This is my first Bit & Bridle item. I took the risk because it was a faux-suede fabric. Thought it was worth a shot.
  • Acquired On: 1/31/12
  • Listed On: 2/6/12
  • Sold On: 2/20/12
  • Paid: $3.99
  • Sold For: $24.99 + shipping


I had REALLY good success with all the NWT Jansport backpacks I bought at a yard sale in September. I bought 6 of them for a total of $31.75. All 6 of them sold within 3 weeks for a total of $190.97. This black one, though, I bought at a different yard sale. It had never been used, but it didn't have the original tag. And it was just plain black. I guess those factors made it a slower sale.
  • Acquired On: 9/3/11
  • Listed On: ? (did a List As Similar on 2/10/12)
  • Sold On: 2/22/12
  • Paid: $5.00
  • Sold For: $29.99 + shipping


Here it is!! Remember this one? I knew it would sell, but I never dreamed it would sell so quickly or for so high!
  • Acquired On: 2/17/12 (Goodwill Harrisburg)
  • Listed On: 2/19/12
  • Sold On: 2/23/12
  • Paid: $3.50
  • Sold For: $39.99 + shipping
And last but not least...



Another fugly for ya. I had this Ralph Lauren button-down shirt up for auction for a week. It got a LOT of hits and had quite a few watchers, but no bids. I figured it would go high to the right buyer, so I priced it pretty high. I accepted a great offer for it this week. I am still awaiting payment though ... ahem ...
  • Acquired On: 1/25/12 (Goodwill)
  • Listed On: 2/6/12
  • Sold On: 2/23/12
  • Paid: $1.20 (yes! $1.20 for a men's Ralph Lauren button-down!)
  • Sold For: $44.75 + shipping
**********

That was a REALLY long catch-up post. I'm worn out. My ear is back to hurting and throbbing again. I'm out. Pinewood Derby tomorrow. I may or may not post. Now that I've gotten this week's fun sales blogged about, I may be back out of commission for a few more days until I'm totally better....

12 comments:

  1. Maybe it's the name of your blog that they don't like? Hope you feel better soon - I enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I considered that, but they were very specific in their email and used the words "your registered domain name theebaythrifter.com"

      Delete
  2. You had some really wild sales this week. I am sorry you aren't feeling well. I hope your ear infection is better soon. I had swimmer's ear once as a teenager and it drove me nuts. And it didn't even hurt just couldn't hear very well.

    My sales were non existant this week. One sale and that was today. Ebay, turn my light back on please!!!!

    I would have been terrified to get a cease and desist order from Ebay.
    The pyrex fridgies are cute! I am on the hunt for them. Any primary color although I would prefer red. Never see any around here. I did see Vision cookware at Good will on Tuesday but it was $5 Wasn't sure if that was a good price and DH was on my phone.
    And...I did pick up a denim skirt on Tuesday and have it listed hope it sells.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vision ware ... $5 would be fine depending on the size. Ive paid $10 for the stockpot. I'd be willing to pay $5 for the 2 liter or the double boiler. My goodwill has recently started overpricing vision ware and pyrex so badly that they aren't even low enough on half price day.

      Delete
  3. Jessica,
    When I was reading your letter from ebay I got the feeling that maybe it was a phishing email. Perhaps that's where your virus came from. Are you sure it was legit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did consider that. No, i guess I'm not sire it's legit, but there were no links or any attachments. Might i have still gotten a virus from it? How can i find out if it's legitimate? There's no phone numb er j. The email...

      Delete
  4. Hmmm...sounds like phishing to me too! I would definitely call Ebay. Great sales by the way - glad you are feeling a smidge better : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I kind of feel the same way as clamco about your emails from "ebay" something about them just doesn't ring true. Especially the response email to your email telling them you cancelled the domain name registration...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been lurking on your blog(s) for a while. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. Count me in too on being suspicious of the ebay email. To me, it would seem if there was some violation to the point where a lawyer had to be involved, an "official" letter would be sent. Something that you had to sign for, so they knew you received it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I think about it, the more I suspect you all may be right. If it was official communication from eBay, there should have been SOME sort of eBay logo or something. This was all just plain text. And there should have been some way to contact them. And there CERTAINLY should have been a response to my initial reply to them, rather than continuing to accuse me of "willful infringement."

      I did call eBay this morning. The rep I spoke to asked me to forward the email to spoof@ebay.com. He said I should hear back from them within 24 hours. With it being a weekend, I'd be surprised if I hear back before Monday. If it wasn't from them, hopefully I'll still be able to re-purchase that domain name. I liked it :)

      Delete
  7. So happy to hear you investigated it further! I send all those emails to spoof@ebay or spoof@paypal just to make sure. If it's a phishing email, I usually get a quick response. Although there was no attachment, the fact that you hit reply may have been enough to spark the virus. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in the phishing camp too. In yahoo, if you click on where the email was sent from to expand it to the full address, you should see who sent it - all official ebay email are from someone at .......@ebay.com

    On another note, I've had much better luck with toddler size Converse. I don't get $20 for them, but they turn over pretty quickly and I can get between $15-$19.99, depending on the style. They fit inside the padded flat rate envelope too, so they're easy to ship.

    ReplyDelete